How should I utilize the accessible parking spaces on campus?
- In order to utilize accessible parking spaces on campus during business hours, faculty, staff, students, and visitors must display both a DMV issued disability placard and a university permit.
- Please reach out to your medical provider about obtaining a DMV disability placard. More information about disability placards can be found on the NC DMV website.
- The disability placard should be displayed from the rearview mirror, and the university permit should be displayed on the dashboard directly above the steering wheel with the numbers facing outward.
- Displaying both the disability placard and a university permit allows parking in any ungated lot on campus, regardless of the university permit's designated location. For example, a student displaying both a Stadium permit and a disability placard would be allowed to park in any ungated lot on campus, not just the Stadium Lot.
- Displaying both the disability placard and university permit also allows for extended parking in timed zones, such as the Library Parking Deck 30-minute spaces.
- Because wheelchair-accessible parking spaces are limited, individuals with properly displayed distinguishing license plates or placards who do not require a wheelchair-accessible space are encouraged to use other (non-reserved) available spaces.
- Gameday disability parking is located in the Hill Street Lot. This lot is serviced by a direct AppalCART shuttle to the stadium starting five hours before kickoff and ending in the 4th quarter. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, a bus (with wheelchair ramps) will be stationed outside of the East Gate at the stadium to transport paratransit passengers to the Hill Street Parking lot for two hours after game ends. Paratransit vehicles will be running until Stadium Drive is blocked near the end of the 4th quarter and will resume after Stadium Drive is opened.
- After 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends, a university permit is not required in conjunction with a disability placard.
How can I request a parking accommodation for my documented disability?
All accommodation requests must be submitted through the Office of Disability Services.
The Office of Disability Resources (ODR) is the designated office to assist eligible students, faculty, staff and visitors with disabilities by determining access needs and coordinating academic adjustments or workplace accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504).